Log in Register

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha

Jim Hogg County Courthouse

The 1913 Jim Hogg County Courthouse is the only courthouse the county has ever had. Designed by San Antonio architect Henry T. Phelps, it has been remodeled several times and it's an icon in the Hebbronville skyline.

Vaquero Capitol of Texas and the USA

Since 1883 Hebbronville has enjoyed a solid reputation as the country’s largest cattle-shipping center and, to this day, the area still stands as a major ranching center. This explains why Hebbronville also holds the title of “Vaquero Capitol of Texas and the USA”.

Scotus College

In 1926, Scotus College, a Franciscan seminary moved to Hebbronville from Mexico to escape persecution. It could accommodate up to twenty students preparing for the priesthood.

The county comprises 1,136 square miles of flat to gently rolling terrain vegetated with mesquite, scrub brush, grasses, and chaparral. Elevations range from 200 to 800 feet. In the east, soils are sandy, with areas of light color, or have loamy surfaces over very deep reddish or mottled clayey subsoils. The rest of the county has loamy surfaces over deep reddish or mottled clayey subsoils, with limestone near the surface in some areas. In the early 1990s more than 90 percent of the land was devoted to farming and ranching, with 2 percent of the farmland under cultivation and 21 percent irrigated; only 1 percent of the land in the county is considered prime farmland. Mineral resources include caliche, clay, uranium, oil, and gas. Temperatures range from 44° F to 69° in January and 73° to 99° in July; the average annual temperature is 73°. Rainfall averages twenty-three inches a year, and the growing season lasts 305 days.

The area of Jim Hogg County has been the site of human habitation for perhaps 11,000 years. Among the oldest artifacts found in the region are stone implements and human remains dating from the Paleo-Indian period (9200 to 6000 B.C.). During the Archaic period (6000 B.C. to A.D. 1000) the local Indian population seems to have increased, and many hunter-gatherers apparently spent time in the area. During this period the inhabitants subsisted mostly on game, wild fruits, seeds, and roots. They carved tools from wood and stone, wove baskets, and made rabbit-skin clothing. The hunting and gathering way of life persisted into the Late Prehistoric period (A.D. 1000 to the arrival of the Spanish), though during this time the Indians in the area, who belonged to the Coahuiltecan linguistic group, learned to make pottery and hunted with bows and arrows. By the early 1800s the Coahuiltecans had succumbed to disease, intermarried with the Spanish, or been driven out by the Lipan Apaches.